Wednesday, February 21, 2024

Drifting Unformed Silent

Drifting Unformed Silent

I am the Lonesome Cowboy, drifting along from place to place, never noticed, never heard, never missed once I am again gone.

I am the Lonesome Cowboy, shuffling along quietly near the borders of what is called life. Never one to complain, I then do not, preferring to cut and to keep cut as many of the ties to average daily life as I am able, while remaining substantially unseen, unheard, and delible.

I am the Lonesome Cowboy, sitting aside my solo campfire talking to any and whichever adventurous moths might tender a brief visit, otherwise completely alone, save for a scant few stars and the nightly chill.

I am the Lonesome Cowboy, sitting very still, listening to something howling at the moon, surprised once again to realize that it is I, clever man.

I am the Lonesome Cowboy, unformed, shapeless, a shade, a shadow, a small uncertain cloud of indifference and lost opportunity, neither here nor there, nor even anywhere in between, and no longer sure of anything else.

I am the Lonesome Cowboy. Never been kissed, save for a few gritty wind-blown grains of sand, eventually learning to quit hoping. Never had a real conversation with a real woman even, ever. I did try though, somewhat. Even said my prayers, always on time, and respectfully, but no. Now, old and leathery, parked quietly in the dark of night, I no longer do more than to wait. For what, I do not know, nor really care. I wait, only wait.

 


Have anything worth adding? Then try sosayseff@nullabigmail.com
Me? Just blew my nose. Expect to recover shortly.

 

Etc...

so says eff: sporadic spurts of grade eff distraction
definitions: outdoor terms
fiyh: dave's little guide to ultralight backpacking stoves
boyb: dave's little guide to backpacks
snorpy bits: nibbling away at your sanity
last seen receding: missives from a certain mobile homer
noseyjoe: purposefully poking my proboscis into technicals